Ex-post evaluation of Macro Financial Assistance operations to Kosovo
General Objectives of the Project:
The main objective of this project is to evaluate the EC’s macro-financial assistance (MFA) operations in Kosovo in order to learn key lessons that can be applied to future interventions and/or to determine whether a reorientation of the present approach is needed.
The evaluation focuses on three main areas of analysis:
- Economic impact of MFA assistance operation on the economy of Kosovo;
- Value added of EU intervention provided through the operation; and
- Sustainability of Kosovo’s external position as a result of the assistance.
The evaluation consists of 3 steps:
- Identifying the types of short-term macro economic effects, short and medium structural effects on the economy;
- Establishing a counterfactual situation; and
- Determining the net effects of the operation, which, for both macroeconomic issues and structural issues amounts to the difference between observed developments and the counterfactual situation. Unexpected and indirect effects, as well as consequences of programme design are also analysed.
CASE provides the quality control services in this project.
The final report is available here.