- Youth labour market
- Vocational education and training
- Lifelong learning
- Employee development
- Employers' recruitment strategies
- Careers guidance
Malcolm Maguire is a Director of Maguire Policy Research. The focus of his career has been undertaking research into employment and labour market-related issues, with particular specialisms in: the youth labour market; vocational education and training; enterprise education; employers' recruitment strategies; lifelong learning; career guidance; and employee development. He has accumulated experience and expertise in a range of methodologies, including: case studies; in-depth interviewing (face-to-face and telephone); large scale surveys; secondary analysis; literature reviews; and evaluation. He has published widely on a range of employment and training related topics. Prior to setting up Maguire Policy Research in 2007, his main posts were: Associate Director of SQW Ltd; Director of the National Institute for Careers Education and Counselling (NICEC); Principal Research Fellow at the Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick; and Co-founder and co-director of the Centre for Labour Market Studies, Leicester University.
- CASE Fellow,
- Director, Maguire Policy Research.
- Associate Director, SQW Ltd (2005-2007),
- Director, National Institute for Careers Education and Counselling (NICEC) (2001-2005),
- Principal Research Fellow, Institute for Employment Research (IER), University of Warwick (1995-2001),
- Co-Director, Centre for Labour Market Studies, University of Leicester (1977-1995).
- Cutts, K., Spencer, S. and Maguire M. (2010) Employer Survey, 2010: Summary Report. Welsh Assembly Government. Cardiff.
- Maguire, M. (2009) Evaluation of Programmes Concerning Education for Entrepreneurship. OECD.
- Maguire, M. (2005) Delivering Quality: Quality assurance and delivery of careers education, information and guidance for learning and work within higher education. DfES and the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS).
- Maguire, M. (2004) ‘Measuring the Outcomes of Career Guidance’, International Journal of Educational and Vocational Guidance. Vol. 4, Nos 2-3, pp 179-192. January.
- Maguire, M., Hawthorn, R. & Haughton, L. (2002) Information, Advice and Guidance for Adults in Key Target Groups: A Literature Review. The Guidance Council.
- Maguire, M., Maguire, S, and Vincent, J. (2001) Implementation of the Education Maintenance Allowance Pilots – The first year. Nottingham, DfES, Research Report 255.
- Maguire, M. (1999) ‘Modern Apprenticeships: Just in Time, or Far Too Late?’, in Ainley, P. and Rainbird, H. (eds) Apprenticeship: Towards a New Paradigm of Learning. Kogan Page.
- Maguire, M. & Maguire, S. (1997) ‘Young People and the Labour Market’, in R. MacDonald (ed) Youth: The Underclass and Social Exclusion. Routledge.
- Maguire, M. (1997) Employee Development Schemes: Panacea or Passing Fancy?’, in Coffield, F. (ed) A National Strategy for Lifelong Learning. University of Newcastle.
- Maguire, M., Hasluck, C. and Green, A. (1996) ‘Identifying Target Groups for Individual Commitment Policies’. DfEE Research Series.
- Maguire, M. & Fuller, A. (1996) 'Professional Development and Lifetime Learning', in Ian Woodward (ed) Impact of Professional Development. Cassell.