comparative macroeconomic studies of transition economies
- Professor at the Warsaw School of Economics,
- Chairman and a founder of Civil Development Forum Foundation,
- Member of the Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor, an independent initiative hosted by the UNDP,
- Member of the Advisory Scientific Committee providing advice and assistance on issues relevant to the work of the European Systemic Risk Board,
- Member of the Group of Thirty, Washington-based financial advisory body,
- Board member of the Peterson Institute Washington-based think-tank.
- Member of the board of Bruegel, the Brussels-based think tank on international economics,
- Fellow of Collegium Invisibile,
- Member of the Group of Trustees,
- Distinguished Associate at the International Atlantic Economic Society.
- Member of the CASE Council from December 1992 to June 2017 (he has not participated in CASE statutory bodies since 1997, when he was appointed Vice-Premier and Minister of Finance),
- President of the National Bank of Poland (January 2001 - January 2007),
- President of the Freedom Union party (April 1995 - December 2000),
- Chairman of the Advisory Council of CASE (1992-2000),
- Deputy Prime Minister of Poland and Minister of Finance (September 1989 – December 1991 and October 1997 – June 2000),
- Deputy Chairman of the Polish Economic Society (1981 - 1982).
- The Order of the White Eagle, awarded for his contribution to Poland's economic transformation (2005),
- Elected member of Galeria Chwały Polskiej Ekonomii, Polish Economy Hall of Fame (2006),
Received the title Doctor Honoris Causa by: the French University of Aix-en-Provence, the University of Sussex in Great Britain, the De Paul University of Chicago in USA, the Szczecin and Torun Universities, the Staffordshire University in England, the University of Abertay Dundee in Scotland, and the J. Stern Economics University in Bratislava.
project involvement: expert
The Impact of Barriers to Entry on the Speed of Transition: A comparative Study of Countries in Different Stages of Transition
Barriers to Entry and Growth of Private Companies in Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Albania and Lithuania