Ahmed Ghoneim (Ph.D): is a Professor at Cairo University, Egypt (Faculty of Economics and Political Science). He is a research fellow at the Economic Research Forum for Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey (ERF). Dr. Ghoneim regularly undertakes consultancy work for the World Bank, WTO, UNCTAD, UNDP and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He held a number policy oriented positions, among which he was an advisor on foreign trade issues to the Minister of Foreign Trade and Minister of Industry. Dr Ghoneim also participated in the EC DG Trade project-Trade and Economic Integration in the Euro-Mediterranean Region. His research interests include trade policy, trade in services, regional trade integration, the multilateral trading system, the World Trade Organization, and the economics of Intellectual Property Rights, in which he has published widely. He advised several governments on different trade policy issues, and helped in capacity building programs in a number of countries.
- Professor in the Economics Department, Faculty of Economics and Political Sciences, Cairo University,
- Economic Consultant to the Egyptian Water and Waste-Water Regulatory Authority through WWSPR Project.
- Managing Director of the Center for European Studies, Cairo University (2006-2008).
- Consultant in a number of projects conducted by USAID, GTZ, UNDP, DFID, World Bank and others.
- CASE Fellow
- Ph.D. in Economics, Graduate School for Middle East Studies,
- MA in Economics of Development, Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, The Netherlands.
Arabic (native), English (fluent), German (fluent), French (fair).
- Ghoneim, Ahmed Farouk, Andeas Artal-Tur, and Nicolas Péridy (2015), “Proximity, trade and ethnic networks of migrants: Case study for France and Egypt”, International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 36, Issue 4
- Ghoneim, Ahmed Farouk (2015), “Can the EU help Egypt to Have a Cohesion Policy?” EU Border Regions, CeSPI Working Paper No. 9, available at http://www.euborderregions.eu/files/Working%20Paper%209_Ghoneim_Egypt%20and%20Cohesion.pdf
- Ghoneim, Ahmed Farouk (2015), "The Political Economy of Food Price Policy in Egypt", in Per Pinstrup-Anderson (editor), Food Price Policy in an Era of Market Instability, Oxford University Press
- Ghoneim, Ahmed F. Nicolas Péridy (2015), “Euro-Mediterranean Trade: Shallow versus Deep Integration”, in Rym Ayadi, Marek Dabrowski, and Luc De Wulf (editors), Economic and Social Development of the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean Countries, Springer International Publishing Switzerland
- Ghoneim, Ahmed F. (2014), “Migrants’ Remittances and Their Impact on Development”, in League of Arab States Regional Report on International Arab Migration 2014: International Migration and Development, Cairo: League of Arab States, in Arabic, available at http://www.zohry.com/pubs/LAS-Migration-2014.pdf
- Ghoneim, Ahmed F. (2013), “Prospects for Egypt's Integration in the World Economy after the 25th of January Revolution: A Political Economy Perspective”, in Michael Gasiorek (editor), The Arab Spring: Implications for Economic Integration, jointly published by FEMISE, CEPR, and VOXEU, available at http://www.voxeu.org/sites/default/files/Arab_Spring.pdf
- Ghoneim, Ahmed F. and Ibrahim Saif (2013), “The Private Sector in Post Revolution Egypt”, Carnegie Middle East Center, available at http://carnegieendowment.org/files/egypt_private_sector1.pdf
- Ghoneim, Ahmed F. (2013), “Trade Policy Reforms in the Arab Region: Barriers and Priorities” Background Paper written for Regional Programme Arab States (UNPOS)
- Ghoneim, Ahmed Farouk with the Assistance of Heba El Deken (2013), “Trade Facilitation in Egypt and the Development of the Suez Canal Corridor Project”, Annex to the Doing Business in Egypt in 2014 Report: Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises, Washington D.C.: International Finance Corporation (IFC), World Bank, available at http://www.doingbusiness.org/~/media/GIAWB/Doing%20Business/Documents/Subnational-Reports/DB14-Egypt.pdf