Ukraine: Overcoming non-tariff barriers for Ukrainian exports to the EU
In the light of current Ukrainian negotiation with the World Trade Organization, and prospects of a Free Trade Agreement with the EU, identifying major impediments to Ukrainian trade is a major concern for both Ukrainian policy makers and exporters. Over 500 Ukrainian companies were interviewed in order to identify the sources of major non tariff barriers.
The project consisted of 4 stages:
- Preparation of an analytical study on NTBs
- Preparation of a survey
- Conducting a survey among enterprises, preparation of the database
- Publication of the report and final conference.
The project leaders concluded that several steps should be taken in the Ukrainian domestic policy, mainly:
- The continuation of reforming customs service through the adoption of regulations on customs valuation
- The elimination of non-automatic export licensing
- The intensification of work on convergence with EU standards and regulations in harmonised areas
- The simplification of conformity assessment procedures for industrial products
- The implementation of at least some EU sanitary and phytosanitary norms
Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs