Yegor T. Gaidar
Member of the CASE Advisory Council - died on December 16, 2009
Yegor T. Gaidar, a "father of Russian reforms", well-known politician, economist, and journalist was born in 1956 in Moscow.After graduating from Moscow State University in 1978, Yegor Gaidar received his Ph.D. in economics in 1980 and in 1980-1987was Research Fellow. From 1987 until1990 he proceeded his career as a journalist and a head of department of 'Communist' monthly. In 1990, he received Doctorship in economics and in 1991 he became Director of the Institute of Economic Policy under the Academy of National Economy of the USSR.
Since 1991 to 1994, during his tenure in the Government of the RF, he held subsequently positions: Deputy Prime Minister in charge of economic policy and Minister of Economy and Finance, Acting Prime Minister, Advisor to the President of RF, First Deputy Prime Minister and Acting Minister of Economy.
In the years 1994-1996 Yegor Gaidar was the Member of the State Duma (Democratic Choice of Russia party). From 1994 to 2001 he has been Chairman of the Democratic Choice of Russia party.
Since 1993 Mr. Gaidar was a Director of the Institute for the Economy in Transition (IET), Moscow.
- Deputy of the State Duma (the Union of the Right Forces)
- Co-chairman of the Union of the Right Forces
- Executive Vice-President of the International Democratic Union (Conservative International)
- Steering Committee member "Arrabida Meetings" (Portugal)
- Member of the Baltic Sea Cooperation Council under the Prime-Minister of Sweden
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Vestnik Europy" (Moscow)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the "Acta Oeconomica" (Budapest)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the CASE Foundation (Warsaw)
- Экономические реформы и иерархические структуры (Economic Reforms and Hierarchic Structures), М., «Наука» 1990
- Государство и эволюция (State and Evolution), М., «Евразия» 1995 (US - 2001)
- Дни поражений и побед (Days of Defeat and Triumph), М., «Вагриус» 1996 (Japan -1997, US -1999),
- Аномалии экономического роста (Anomalies of Economic Growth), М., «Евразия» 1997 (Poland - 1999, US - 2002)
- Сочинения в 2-х томах (Selected Works, 2-volume edition), М., «Евразия» 1997
Publications abroad (over 100) in:
Australia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, Taiwan, UK, USA, and by international institutions.
- Honorary Professor, University of California, Berkeley.
- Terry Sanford Distinguished Lecturer, Duke University
- Honorary Academy member of the Ukrainian Academy of Management
- Honorary Director, Russia- Ukraine Institute for Personnel and Management